Carolina CHAOS AAU Basketball
Carolina CHAOS AAU Player Handbook
The information contained in this handbook outlines the expectations and responsibilities of the players, parents, coaches, and staff of Carolina
Carolina CHAOS recognizes that basketball is only one facet of a young person’s life. Our mission is to be a memorable part of their journey, by
providing a healthy and safe environment where confidence in their athletic abilities can soar; they can hone their basketball skills, while enjoying
the camaraderie of their fellow teammates and coaches and the thrill of playing a competitive game of basketball. As an organization we do not
emphasize basketball as the number one priority over other areas of our young athletes’ lives. Our commitment is to assist in the personal growth
of our players.
Carolina CHAOS Sports provides an opportunity for our youth to play safe, play smart, and to learn the fundamentals of basketball; by teaching and
understanding the rules, and to respect team mates and opponents. We are building leaders of tomorrow for life in the community, the classroom,
and on the court; through trust, love of the game, and commitment. These goals will be accomplished by providing structured programs designed to
educate both players and parents in all aspects of the sport.
Coaching Staff Responsibility
The coaching staff of Carolina CHAOS is committed to carry out the following responsibilities:
•Strive to assist team members in the improvement of their individual strengths.
•Coach and stress the basic fundamentals of basketball.
•Create an environment in which the primary emphasis is placed upon the well-being ofthe athletes.
•Conduct structured practices and attend all tournaments.
•Lead by example and demonstrate the value of fair play and sportsmanship.
•Be a leader and supporter of the Carolina CHAOS Mission statement.
Website and e-mail Carolina CHAOS official web site is used to better communicate information such as practice and tournament
schedules to the team and parents. It is each player’s responsibility to check regularly for updates. The web address is www.carolina-chaos.org.
Coaches for Carolina CHAOS are exclusively volunteers that are doing the best job they can in providing an educational, healthy, safe, and fun time
for our players. Even with those intentions in mind it is inevitable that there will be conflicts between coaches, parents and players. We urge
everyone to address these issues in a positive manner, keeping in mind that we do what we do for the boys. It isn’t about the parent, it isn’t about
the coach, and it isn’t even about Carolina CHAOS, it is about the players.
When an issue or problem arises please follow the following guidelines:
1. Do not interfere with the coaches on game days. If you have an issue at a tournament that does not immediately affect someone’s
safety, please schedule a time to speak to the coach in person, by phone, or by email no sooner than 24 hours after the conclusion of
2. If your issue cannot be resolved by the coach please contact any member of the Board. The member of the Board will be certain to
make sure that your issue is handled by someone appropriately.
Club Refund Policy
The fees paid for participation in the Carolina CHAOS AAU Basketball organization are non-refundable once a player has been selected for a team.
AAU Basketball is a highly competitive athletic endeavor. The amount of playing time is up to the discretion of the individual head coaches. We
understand that AAU is not without cost, and as an organization, we feel that anyone who was good enough to make one of our teams is
deserving of playing time in each and every contest so long as they have met practice requirements. However, you should not expect playing time
to be evenly distributed, especially as the teams mature. Our expectation is that the least skilled players on any team could play as little as 25% of
the available minutes over the course of the season. If either parents or players have an issue with this possibility then AAU may not be for you.
The following represent the expectations of the board and coaching staff regarding player responsibilities. Remember, you not only represent yourself, but the
entire Carolina CHAOS organization. This is a tremendous responsibility. The coaching staff and board volunteer their time, and we trust you will exhibit a sense of
pride and respect both on and off the court.
Players are expected to demonstrate respect to the coaching staff, officials, opponents, spectators, the board, and especially their own teammates.
The coaching staff places respect, attitude, and character as top priorities of sportsmanship in our athletes.
• Players are expected to be courteous in word. Vulgar language is not acceptable.
• Players are expected to be courteous in action. Fighting of any kind will not be tolerated.
• Any illegal activity will result in immediate suspension pending investigation by the board.
• Carolina CHAOS will be the first priority in athletics during the AAU basketball season (March thru June).
• To play on this team is a privilege, not a right. Playing time must be earned through hard work and a commitment to improve your
• Three unexcused absences may result in action determined by the board.
• Players are expected to call the coach prior to the start of a scheduled practice / game in the event they will be late or will not be able
• Practice and game attire should be appropriate including: sneakers tied, shorts worn at waist, and no jewelry.
• Players must arrive ready to start practice on time.
• Uniforms must be maintained as originally issued and may not be altered in any way.
• Players must bring complete uniform to all tournaments.
• Uniforms must be turned into the designated person after each tournament. Players must bring a change of clothes.
• The use of tobacco, alcoholic products or illegal drugs or narcotics is prohibited at all times.
• Violation of any of the above responsibilities could result in suspension or dismissal from the team at the sole discretion of the board.
Carolina CHAOS is an all-volunteer organization. A non-refundable player fee provides the majority of the funding. This fee will cover expenses related to
uniforms, AAU registration, tournaments, and gym fees.
Carolina CHAOS is a non-profit organization. Contributions are currently being accepted, and are tax deductible. If you or the company that you
work for is interested in supporting Carolina CHAOS, please contact a board member for information or visit our website: www.carolina-chaos.org
The parent/guardian is responsible for:
• Arranging transportation to and from practices and tournaments.
• Arranging overnight stay at away tournaments.
• Expenses at away tournaments, such as: rooms for overnight stay, meals, etc.
• Demonstrating respect to coaching staff, officials, spectators, opponents, and especially our team.
• As a team parent I recognize that I am a representative of the Carolina CHAOS team. I will maintain a positive attitude and encourage
that same positive attitude in my child in all team events and all related interactions at all times.
• Recognizing that I am part of a growing organization with financial needs, I will work toward assisting the organization in keeping our
membership costs as low as possible by participating in team and organization sponsored fund-raising events.
• Understanding that failure to comply with club policies or failure to show proper respect to players, coaches, or officials can result in
disciplinary action or in extreme cases in the suspension or dismissal of my child from the team at the sole discretion of the board.